Tarrasch Chess GUI
Try Tarrasch Chess GUI and be amazed! For those Chess aficionados who are also tech savvy, I will suggest a new Chess program that is very simple to use. It is simple and robust and can be setup in minutes. That is the beauty of it. It is a complete package and what’s more – it is FREE !!!
Tarrasch is an extremely easy to use free chess program for Windows. Tarrasch comes bundled with some free chess engines, which also includes the latest Stockfish and the demo version of Houdini which is not a weakling at all, so as a lay user one would get all the requisite tools in one package.
No need to run around installing the engines one-by-one or even searching for one.
The download link is here – Click here to download Tarrasch for Windows.
Tarrasch is designed to to make it as easy as possible to perform some basic chess activities –
- You can play a chess game against a chess engine, with either color, from any position, with even a time handicap if you want some quality training.
- Setup any position that is needing analysis and get the engine to analyze that position. What’s more you can play through the engine-analysis.
- Create and edit .pgn* files (standard chess documents).
- Enter variations easily (just make moves anywhere).
- Enter and edit comments easily (just click anywhere and start typing).
- Promote and demote variations and even comments (so comments can change to moves and vice-versa – great for picking text off a website).
*PGN stands for Portable Game Notation.
About the Author:
The installation was a bressze and the program was literally ready to play in a few seconds. The menus are pretty much self explanatory and if at any time you mess up with the program you can return to the defaults by clicking on >Options – Reset to factory defaults<
Tarrasch has some unique functions that deal with the way you can import and use comments and variations as you can see form the screen shot below – Change text of commands from ‘promote comments to variation’ to ‘promote comments to moves’
Look at his video explaining some of the salient features of Tarrasch Chess GUI. Also be sure to check out the help file for all the descriptions about the different menu functions. The most important one is regarding the Kibitzers – that is something you must read before you can understand the full potential of the Tarrasch chess GUI.
Source: Expert Chess